Wednesday, August 20, 2003

THE PERFECT EXAMPLE OF A BAD COLLEGE ESSAY

I don’t like talking about myself. I can never think of things to say that will make me sound interesting to people. The only things that pop into my head is that I like html, Star Trek, duct tape, and fire. Then people say “Yeah, but that doesn’t tell me a thing about you.” How do I respond to that?

I’m odd. I’m relatively quiet. I’m boring. I’m morbid, creepy, distant. I’d rather be talking about the state of blogs rather than the state of the world. I’m compulsive about schoolwork mainly because I don’t like thinking that I could’ve done better. I write better just rambling than trying to formulate an organized essay. I know what my set limitations are, and don’t strive to surpass them. I’m sarcastic and sometimes bitter. I’m a pessimist more often than an optimist. I think about death… a lot. I rely on logic in making my decisions. I’m not adventurous. I’m not bold, unless being bold is not caring what other people think of me. I’m emotional about little ridiculous things. I’m tired of oh so many situations, and can’t wait for a change. I value my freedoms. I’m passionate about nothing, save for when I feel I’m being screwed over by the Man taken advantage of. I don’t claim any religion, I don’t even claim a god. I can’t scream, I can barely even yell. I hate conflict, and try to avoid it as much as possible.

I tell people this, and they would prefer the Star Trek, duct tape, and fire answer. So I tell them. I enjoy scifi and the ideas in the Star Trek universe. I can ponder time travel and alternate realities for hours. I think duct tape is the answer to the everyday problem of broken items. It’s strong, adhesive, and looks awesome. I also know that both “duct tape” and “duck tape” are correct, and can tell you why. I hold fire to be my symbol. I love the look of fire, the necessary warmth, the destruction and creation, and the thought of what fire is. Of html, I like writing code and seeing how it translates into an aesthetically pleasing appearance. I like being able to have the ability to change the look and function of a page. I find it frustrating that I can’t format a document using html in Microsoft Word.

Other people would probably have different opinions on who they believe me to be, but I can only say how I see myself to be at this time. I know that I will change over time, but I will always keep my values and strive to learn as much as I can about things that interest me. For now, I can only be myself.

[um... i don't want to spend another 2-3 hours writing an essay that my teacher would actually like. and i have more homework to do. and blogger just ate my previous post of this, i'm not gonna rewrite what i wrote before. word.]

No comments: